Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Nancy Sings. Short title. No quotes. Jandek, please call Bangus HQ

Hello. Let us go then, you and I when the evening is spread out against the sky. Hey. I just made that up. It sound’s brilliant. Okay. So, let’s take care of some business. Watch the video by Houston enigma, Jandek, entitled ‘Nancy Sings’. Enjoy. Meet me back here after you’ve finished. It will all be okay. Come one.
It will all be okay. Sssshhhh, now. Okay. Click it. Click it now, dammit! What’s one click between friends? It only has a running time of 2 minutes and 48 seconds. C’mon. You could be doing a helluvalot worse for 2:48. I don’t really ask much, do I? I mean, really, when have I ever asked for anything? Never. That’s when. Not once. I have never hit you up for canned donations. I’ve never called you late at night asking for help with a delicate legal problem that presented itself unexpectedly. Have I? Eh? Hum? No. I’ve never asked you to move a fridge or front me money just till pay day. So, just do me this one solid, and we’ll call it even (for the time being).



Jandek has nothing to do with the business at hand, but what the hell. Not everything has to be related. There are no rules for any of this. No. Some things can be totally unrelated, things can be random. I like randomness. No rhyme. No reason. A pigeon shit on my shoulder once. I didn’t take it personal at all, although I actually felt like I was somehow chosen by the bird, knowing full well that I was not a target. I just happened to be standing there ordering a poutine from Mattawa’s famed Turcotte’s Chip Stand. I like negative space. I like the sound of a single guitar that is slightly out of tune. If twenty guitarists strum in perfect unison while all in the same precise tuning, what you hear is one big guitar, which has its place. But, if nineteen guitarists all strum in perfect unison all in the same precise tuning, while the twentieth guitarist of the ensemble plays slightly out of tune, and maybe kind of jerky on the backbeat, who will have the greatest chance of being heard as an individual artist? I’ve always loved the guy with the out of tune guitar strumming away on the backbeat kind of jerky like.