Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bangus woman in labour races to hospital on riding lawnmower - almost makes it!



BANGUS ONLINE - Weighing 8lbs, baby Wally Filch is cooing and looking around with those shifty baby googly eyes as mom, Wendy, smiles proudly. Just hours earlier with the assistance of a few helpful neighbours and a quick-thinking plumber, Wendy gave birth to baby Wally.

"I knew it [the birth] was going to be any time, but living so close to the hospital I always figured that no matter where I was there would be plenty of time to get there when labour started. So, I was just knitting while watching that terrible oil leak on CNN when WHAM - and I knew it was time."

As Wendy's husband, who runs an unlicensed  backyard abattoir was away on business, it was up to Wendy to take matters into her own hands.

"At first I didn't panic. I had my bag ready for days, so I started looking for my keys and my flip flops. I couldn't find them anywhere. The keys I mean, not the flip flops. I thought of calling 911, but I'm only a few blocks away from the hospital so I figured it would be quicker to just make the drive on the John Deere. I mean that thing can really haul some serious ass when you open her up."

Wendy began the short drive to the hospital when the mower sputtered to a stop. That's when she started to panic.

"The contractions were really painful and I couldn't hardly get off the lawnmower. Then, like a miracle, there's all these people helping me and taking pictures with their phones. Wally was coming out fast. I knew it was happening now. That's when Reg - he's a plumber, took charge, and you know, caught the baby, gave him a quick wipe, handed Walley back to me to go home to get some gas for the mower, filled it up and followed me in his van as I finished the drive to the hospital, steering with one hand and holding beautiful baby Wally in the other. It was quite a day. I was home in less than twelve hours. When I did get home they were still trying to stop the oil on CNN."